20/04/2011

A Prayer to our Lord during Holy Week

O Lord Jesus Christ our God,
Thou that didst weep over Lazarus,
and shed tears of sorrow and compassion for him,
accept the tears of my bitterness.
By Thy Passion cure my passions.
By Thy wounds, heal my wounds.
By Thy Blood, purge my blood;
mingle the fragrance of Thy life-creating Body with my body.
Let the gall Thou didst drink at enemies' hands
sweeten my soul from the bitterness which
the foe has given me to drink.

Let Thy Body,
O Lover of men, which was stretched on the Tree of the Cross,
extend toward Thee mine intellect
which is dragged evilly downward by demons.
Let Thy Head,
which Thou didst bow on the Cross, raise up my head,
which is buffeted by mine adversaries.
Let Thine all-holy Hands,
which were nailed to the Cross by the unbelieving Jews,
lead me out of the abyss of perdition to Thee,
as Thine All-holy Mouth hath promised.
Let Thy Countenance,
which received blows and spittings from accursed men,
brighten my countenance, which is stained with iniquities.

Let Thy Soul,
which on the Cross Thou didst commend to Thy Father,
guide me to Thee by Thy grace.
I have not a mournful heart wherewith to seek Thee,
I have no repentance,
I have no compunction,
which bring children into their proper inheritance.
O Master, I have not a comforting tear.
My mind is darkened by the affairs of this life,
and hath no strength to look steadfastly toward Thee with groaning.
My heart is grown cold from the multitude of temptations,
and cannot warm herself with tears of love for Thee.

But Thou, O Lord and God Jesus Christ,
the Treasury of good gifts,
grant me thorough repentance and a sorrowing heart,
that with all my soul I may go forth to seek Thee.
For without Thee,
I am a stranger to all that is good.
Therefore, O Good One,
freely grant me Thy grace.
Let the Father,
Who hath timelessly and everlastingly brought Thee forth from His bosom,
renew in me the features of Thine image.

I have forsaken Thee,
do not forsake me.
I have gone out from Thee,
come out to seek me,
and lead me up to Thy pasture,
and number me among the sheep of Thy chosen flock,
and nourish me with them on the verdure of Thy Divine Mysteries;
for their pure heart is Thy lodging-place,
and therein is the illumination of Thy revelations clearly beheld,
which is the comfort and refreshment
of those who for Thy sake have travailed
in afflictions an every kind of outrage.
May we also be deemed worthy of this illumination
by Thy grace and love for man,
O our Savior Jesus Christ,
unto the ages of ages.
Amen.
by St Isaac the Syrian

No comments:

Post a Comment